The New 42nd Street Apprentice Program
The New 42nd Street Apprentice Program in affiliation with The New 42nd Street INC.
This Summer Elizabeth had the outstanding opportunity to live and work in New York City, while attending the New 42nd ST Apprentice Program. One of ten apprentices chosen, Elizabeth was assigned to the Studio Operations department in The New 42nd ST Studios.
Summer 2015 Class: Elizabeth Emond, Garrett Allen, Stephanie Zmuda, Chey Myrie, Cesca Wolos-Fonteno, Maki Kern, Beth Brennan, Sasha Allison Grunburg, & Dawchelle Hamilton.
While working in Studio Operations, Elizabeth was responsible for the following:
1. Creating renter badges for admission into The New 42nd Studios.
2. Studio floor walk throughs. Checking that the studios are cleanly and all materials are accounted for.
3. Upkeep of current broadway show excel spreadsheet.
4. Knowledge of phone and transfer system throughout the New 42nd Street.
5. Management of the 5th floor Studio Operations window. Providing renters with rental information, keys, mail, etc..
6. Knowledge of floor rental spaces and google calendar.
7. Email data entry for pervious renter requests.
8. Helping with preparation for special events
9. Ongoing research to ensure that the Studios are meeting the needs of the performing arts companies in the building.
10. Some interaction with performing artists and stage managers.
11. Helping to maintain current records of studio rentals, department expenses and equipment.
What is the New 42nd Street Apprentice Program?
Apprentices take on a wide variety of responsibilities within the daily operations of The New 42nd Street and its projects. In addition to providing hands-on involvement in the business of running a nonprofit performing arts organization, these paid employment opportunities also include weekly seminars and workshops on such topics as professionalism, interview skills and resume writing.
Apprenticeship departments include: Communications, Development, Finance, New Victory Artistic Programing, New Victory Education, New Victory Operations, Production Management, & Studio Operations.
Click here for more information regarding the New 42nd ST Apprentice Program.
What Does a Studio Operations Apprentice Do?
The Operations Department of The New 42nd Street is responsible for the day-to-day operations and long-term planning of 14 rehearsal studios and a blackbox theater (The Duke on 42nd Street). Apprentices in this department will be involved in all aspects of the Studio building operations. The bulk of duties will be administrative and office-related such as:
- Helping to maintain current records of studio rentals, department expenses and equipment
- General telephone and clerical work (Apprentices will be instructed on proper use of all office equipment)
- Helping with preparation for special events
- Ongoing research to ensure that the Studios are meeting the needs of the performing arts companies in the building
- Some interaction with performing artists and stage managers
When show and programming schedule permits, there are also occasions for some production and technical opportunities such as:
- Assisting with maintenance of theatrical technical equipment
- Assisting with load-ins and load-outs for the Studios and The Duke on 42nd Street
- Learning some basic theatrical lighting design and technical skills with hands-on experience during special events.
Click here for more information regarding the Studio Operations department.